I have been craving this scrumptious recipe for a month now so I decided to dust it off and share! It is super easy and very flavorful. I have served it for several gatherings and it is always met with rave reviews. It is truly a fix-it-and-forget-it main dish with lots of WOW factor. For entertaining I usually buy a bigger brisket and up the spices accordingly. I don't adjust the veggies and it turns out tasty. Please enjoy!
Prep: 15 min., Cook: 8 hrs. Select a brisket that is uniform in thickness to make shredding the meat easier.
Makes 6 servings
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 (2- to 3-lb.) beef brisket
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground chipotle powder
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Flour tortillas
- Toppings: shredded Mexican cheese blend, sour cream, salsa, chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
1. Place first 3 ingredients in a 6-qt. slow cooker.
2. Trim fat from brisket; cut brisket into 3-inch pieces. Rub brisket pieces evenly with 2 tsp. salt and 1 1/2 tsp. chipotle powder, and place on top of vegetables in slow cooker. Top with 1 cup cilantro.
3. Cover and cook on HIGH 6 to 8 hours or until brisket pieces shred easily with a fork.
4. Remove brisket from slow cooker, and cool slightly. Using 2 forks, shred meat into bite-size pieces. Serve in flour tortillas with desired toppings and lime wedges.
Recipe courtesy Wanda Jensen, El Paso, Texas, Southern Living, AUGUST 2006